Re: Experiment: Neophyte versus Windows XP

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 10:13:26AM +0800, csj wrote:
> On 19. July 2004 at 10:46PM -0700,
> Mark e Plummer <poppynoir@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > I have just read your article as best I could. I am
> > confused, but not by you but by me.  I have been using Firefox
> > as a browser and Thunderbird as mailbox for about a week and a
> > half now and I love them.  I am thinking about dumping Windows
> > XP because it is a pain, I was looking at Mandrake and
> > ReHat. Debian Woody I have never heard off until five minutes
> > ago.  Is it really hard to understand. Or as I am not a
> > programmer should I even be thinking about using it.  This is a
> > vague letter I know.  What I am asking, I suppose, is would you
> > go for it. Do I have to dump Windows before I start downloading
> > Woody?  Any help in the form of ideas would be wonderful.
>
> There's just one google search word you need to know if you want
> to try out GNU/Linux: "knoppix"

And if you do decide to go with debian, avoid woody and go with the new
beta installer for sarge. Woody is for servers and it will scare you
right away again (its somewhat old, and although its _very_ stable, it
can be hard to install if you don't know what you are doing).