Re: lost my 'c' key in X

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 02:12:03PM -0400, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> on Tue, 20 Jul 2004 05:31:44PM +0200, martin f krafft insinuated:
> > Apparently, computers are taking over the entertainment industry
> > now. Get this: I had been using this computer of mine for a while
> > remotely and just today tried to use it locally for the first time
> > in days... However, the 'c' key won't print a C, merely cause the
> > machine speaker to beep. This is in xdm, way before xmodmap or the
> > like. The 'c' key works fine on the console, and it makes no
> > difference whether a PS/2 or USB keyboard is used. Even rebooting
> > the machine does not fix the problem. I am using X 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4.
> >
> > Any hints appreciated.
>
> as suggested in an earlier thread[1]: `setxkbmap us` (or whatever variant
> you're using -- for a good time, try `setxkbmap dvorak` ;)

I spotted this today on my Shuttle SS40G at home. It has been offline
for a few days due to bust PSU, but got the replacement PSU today and
after three hours fighting to get the box to boot at all (one removed
GFX card and one removed HD later) - 'c' and 'e' in KDM, GDM and any
other bootmanager I tried would not work.

So messed about with XF86Config-4 a bit, and what I found was, change
your kbd def from pc105 to pc102 and you'll find the keys spring back
into life...

Bizarre..

/A