Re: Is Linux Unix?

Niels L. Ellegaard wrote:

John L Fjellstad <john-debian@fjellstad.org> writes:

Is there a semantic difference between being like something or a
clone of something, and being that thing in the English language?

I'm just thinking of the statement, GNU's Not Unix.  Does that mean
that GNU/Linux is a OS with unix like functionality, kinda like
Windows with Service For Unix, or OS/2 with its POSIX layer, or is
GNU/Linux an unix.

Kinda like, Kleenex is both a brand of tissue and the generic name for
tissues.  Is the same true for unix?

The name Unix is registered trademark in the US and probably also in
many other countries. This means that it is not automatically legal to
refer to an operative system as a Unix while trying to sell it in the
US. This trademark is the reason why the term Unix is not used to
describe Linux distributions.

I believe that Linux is as similar to the average Unix system, as the
average Unix system is similar to other Unix systems.

                       Niels

PS: I hope to be corrected if I have misunderstood.

For all intents and purposes, Linux is a kernel (or os) that acts like Unix but is not Unix. Mainly it all depends on your definition of Unix, however the origins of Linux is Minix which is by no means Unix. I think BSD is considered Unix no matter who you ask. I don't think it's a bad thing that Linux is not Unix because it adds spice to the computing world (and makes discussions like these possible). Linux definitely has its benefits because it's not Unix. I think the Unix refers to the Kernel more than the OS, because I believe the HURD kernel with GNU Software is considred Unix and Linux with GNU is not so Unix.

I know a lot of die hard Linux people keep insisting that Linux is Unix, but I don't think that's the intent of Linux, at least not at this time. Could Linux become Posix Compliant, etc? Of course, but I think they would compromise their objectives too much if they did.

Paul