Re: Configuring Cube

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:50:07 +0300, David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:
> Cube is the newest, open-source Doom knockoff. Quite nice actually--uses
> openGL so DRI must be working.

Bit of an odd place to ask this, since cube hasn't been packaged for debian...

> Some small comparisons are in order. Doom is old, runs on old clunkers and new
> screamers, equally well! The data files are small but give you a large game
> area.

I recommend using prboom (packaged in debian) as your doom engine, and
freedoom (http://freedoom.sf.net/) as your IWAD, for a completely
DFSG-free gaming experience.

> Quake is newer, data files ten times larger, gamer area more
> 3-dimensional but not 10x better. Older versions, as I said, run equally well
> on slow and fast machines, Newer versions, usually one-on-one duals, run too
> fast of fast machines. The opponents jump about without logic or reason.

Which quake engine do you experience this with? What you describe is a
classic problem with computer games where timing was controlled using
busy-wait loops. I don't think the original quake engine suffers from
this (carmack has a fair reputation coding-wise); and I haven't
experienced it in the various engines I have tried. My recommendation:
quakeforge (quakeforge.net; GPL; seemingly not packaged although I
thought I apt-get installed it a while ago. strange). For the quake
data you may need to use the original .pak files (i.e. buy the game);
although a WIP free data set openquartz is in the works
(http://openquartz.sourceforge.net/).

> Cube has this same animation problem. So question 1: How might I slow it down?

I think the problem must be elsewhere than a busy-wait loop. Maybe you
are just not used to the speed? Cube was designed to be fast in the
old-school, doom style of playing (modern fps games are much slower in
pace due to the rendering requirements).

> The second problem is the only way to turn is with the mouse. This makes the
> game unplayable (a trackball would work this way but not a regular mouse!).
> How might I bind arrow-pad keys differently? (They now work as slide left and
> right which is less usefull)

You should try the cube forums. The homepage is down at time of
writing but is http://www.cubeengine.com/. Also see
http://sf.net/projects/cube/.

--
Jon Dowland