cdrom drive under Debian can't deal with my audio selections

Hi -

I just added a second hard drive to an old 133mhz Presario 4704
and installed Woody with the 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel.

While running Debian I can mount and read data CDs without
difficulty *but* cannot play audio CDs. (Still using the
original CDROM drive.)

Yet if I merely reboot from lilo into my previous install of
Mandrake 7.1 (2.4.18-19-7) I could play Britney CDs as long as
I...well, 'til my ears bled. No trouble at all.

More particularly I get an error such as:
  # mcdp /dev/hdc
  Sorry, can't open cd-device "" !

Some additional drive information:

  # /sbin/hdparm -I /dev/hdc

  /dev/hdc:

  ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
          Model Number:       HITACHI CDR-7930
          Serial Number:
          Firmware Revision:  1022
  Standards:
          Likely used CD-ROM ATAPI-1
  Configuration:
          DRQ response: 50us.
          Packet size: 12 bytes
  Capabilities:
          LBA, IORDY(cannot be disabled)
          Buffer size: 64.0kB
          DMA: sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 *mdma0 mdma1
               Cycle time: min=180ns recommended=180ns
          PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3
               Cycle time: no flow control=180ns  IORDY flow
control=180ns

Running "hdparm -I /dev/hdc" (above) also throws these errors to
the console:

  hdc: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
  hdc: drive_cmd: error=0x04

Yet "hdparm /dev/hdc" does not:

  # hdparm /dev/hdc

  /dev/hdc:
   HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Invalid argument
   IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
   unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
   using_dma    =  0 (off)
   keepsettings =  0 (off)
   readonly     =  1 (on)
   readahead    =  8 (on)
   HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument

Is this a DMA issue? Do I need to tweak kernel parameters
somehow?

Thanks -

Joe