Re: bittornado howto

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 08:51:37AM -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> Perhaps I've been spoiled by other debian packages but I can't figure
> out how to run bittornado(-gui).
>
> There is no man page. There is no menu item. In
> /usr/share/doc/bittornado there is a README that contains the line
> 'Instructions for Unix installation are in INSTALL.unix.txt' which of
> course doesn't exist.

What do you mean by your statement about the lack of manpage?  There is
no "bittornado" manpage?  There are manpages for the various commands
included in the bittornado packages.

  seneca@sophocles:~$ dpkg -L bittornado|grep \/man\/man
  /usr/share/man/man1
  /usr/share/man/man1/bttrack.1.gz
  /usr/share/man/man1/btmakemetafile.1.gz
  /usr/share/man/man1/btreannounce.1.gz
  /usr/share/man/man1/btrename.1.gz
  /usr/share/man/man1/btshowmetainfo.1.gz
  /usr/share/man/man1/btcompletedir.1.gz
  /usr/share/man/man1/btcopyannounce.1.gz
  /usr/share/man/man1/btsethttpseeds.1.gz
  /usr/share/man/man1/bittorrent-downloader.1.gz
  /usr/share/man/man1/bittorrent-multi-downloader.1.gz
  /usr/share/man/man1/btdownloadcurses.1.gz
  /usr/share/man/man1/btdownloadheadless.1.gz
  /usr/share/man/man1/btlaunchmany.1.gz
  /usr/share/man/man1/btlaunchmanycurses.1.gz
  Previous command returned 0
  seneca@sophocles:~$

> It also tells me to run './bttrack.py  --port 6969 --dfile dstate' but
> it doesn't tell me what directory I should be in. Trying it without the
> './' I get a 'command not found'. Using 'locate' I discover that there
> is a /usr/bin/bttrack (note the absence of the .py extention). So I open
> a new shell and try that command but don't get my prompt back.

Only run bttrack if you want to run your own tracker.  I have never used
it; I have only used btdownloadgui.

> What am I supposed to do now? There are evidently several other commands
> that need to be run. Will I need to open a new shell for each of them?

If you don't want to host your own torrent, you can get by with just
btdownload*.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com