Re: Smbclient works but not Samba

Answering myself, as I often tend to do, setting encryption to yes in smb.conf, and allowing netbios-ns in /etc/services solved the problem.

Ken Januski wrote:

I wonder if anyone has any ideas as to why I can get smbclient to work going from my Debian box to my XP box but can't get it to work the other way round by trying to connect from XP to Debian. The most common error is "This machine not authorized ...". But I have both the IP and the name of the XP box listed in hosts allow. I've also created a Linux account with same name as XP account and made sure that it's in smbpasswd. But nothing seems to work. Occasionally I'll get far enough for a logon dialog box to come up on XP but then that also fails.

I realize that no one can probably answer this question without further details but if someone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Ken