Problems with mounting RAID5 array at boot

Hi everyone.  I have a new debian system that I just installed and then
upgraded from Woody to testing.  Now that it's up and running I wanted to
mount a RAID5 array on four drives with some existing data.  This RAID
array was originally set up under RedHat.  I installed the raidtools2
package, copied over my raidtab file /etc and then rebooted.

Now when I boot I get the following error:

Checking all file systems...
fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
fsck.ext3: Invalid argument while trying to open /dev/md0
/dev/md0:
filesystems.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

fsck failed.  Please repair manually.

Now here I can type control-D to boot up normally or enter the root
password to boot into single user mode.  If I hit control-D then the
system will come up and mount my array as listed in /etc/fstab without
any problems.  It just seems that I can't get it to make it past the
filesystem check.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

--
Matt Perry | matt at primefactor dot com