tty1 vs tty2-6 and locales

Hi,

When I had the default locale set to en_US.UTF-8, tasksel came
up an ugly screen in tty2-6 but ok in tty1. I had to prefix man
commands with LANG=C so they would display correctly in all ttys.

The keyboard CAPS-LOCK key didn't recognise the e or c keys, I thought
I had a keyboard problem!

When I changed default locale to en_US, the problem shifted to tty1.
That is ttys 2-6 show all the right characters but tty1 didn't.
The keuboard fault disappeared (strange only the e and c keys not
responding to CAPS-LOCK was only symptom.)

I no longer have to prefix the man command with LANG=C in any tty, so
it seems I have the correct locale setting. BUT now tty1 doesn't show
some characters correctly like ö (should be an o with two dots on top,
if it looks like an A followed by a funny upside down P then check your
default locale setting :-)) and the thread lines in mutt are all
garbled.

/etc/console-tools/config says:

# CAVEATS:
#
# - When using the new framebuffer devices, the "global setting" for a font
# only affects the current console (ie., at boot-time, the first one)
# - ACM setting involves 2 steps (maybe loading a user ACM, and activating
# it on a given charset slot - see charset(1) for details), the 1st of which
# affects the entire system, but the 2nd of which only affects the current
# VC (ie., at boot-time, the first one).  So that if you want to use the same
# ACM on all VCs, you have to specify "APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc<N>=user" for all
# relevant values of <N>.
#
# Example:
#
#SCREEN_FONT=iso01.f16
#SCREEN_FONT_vc2=LatArCyrHeb-16
#
#APP_CHARSET_MAP=iso05
#APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc2=user

but the inverse seems to be the case.

That originally steered me in the wrong direction as I thought tty2-6
were not configured, oh well live and learn.

Has anyone else seen this prob, suggestions welcome.

Chris
======