Re: NETGEAR MA311 802.11b Wireless PCI Network Adapter Card

On Saturday 17 July 2004 16:40, Rodney D. Myers wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 12:08:35 +0200
>
> Frederik Dannemare <frederik@dannemare.net> wrote:

> > >to> spend all day trying to get this piece of hardware working,
> > >unless I> absolutely have to.
> > >
> > > Don't know how the new installer handles wifi, but this is more
> > > or less what you should do to get the netgear ma311 working:
> > >
> > > apt-get install hostap-utils hostap-source wireless-tools hotplug
> > > echo "alias wlan0 hostap_cs" >/etc/modutils/hostap
> >
> > Should have said _pci, not _cs. Thus:
> > echo "alias wlan0 hostap_pci" >/etc/modutils/hostap
> >
> > > update-modules
> > >
> > > Ensure that you have a wlan0 section in
> > > /etc/network/interfaces...
> > >
> > > iwconfig wlan0 essid foobar
> > > iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
> >
> > Did you get it to work, btw?
> > - --
> > Frederik Dannemare | mailto:frederik@dannemare.net
>
> Actually I missed the first reply to this message, not sure how or
> why.. I know have this email printed out so I can try.

Oh, I also forgot to mention that you should, of course, compile the
hostap kernel module. This can be done like this (after having
apt-get'ed hostap-source and assuming that you compile your own kernels
with kernel sources located in /usr/src/linux):

cd /usr/src
tar zxvf hostap-source.tar.gz
cd linux
fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version -foobar modules_image
sudo dpkg -i ../hostap-modules-2.6.5-foobar_0.1.2-2_i386.deb
depmod -a

Should you ever want to use the MA311 as an access point, have a look at
my notes: http://sentinel.dk/cookbook/?Linux_wireless_access_point
- --
Frederik Dannemare | mailto:frederik@dannemare.net
GnuPG key: search for 'dannemare' on http://pgpkeys.mit.edu
Key fingerprint: BB7B 078A 0DBF 7663 180A  F84A 2D25 FAD5 9C4E B5A8
http://frederik.dannemare.net | http://www.linuxworlddomination.dk