Re: ping server

Simon Kitching wrote:

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 16:50, John Summerfield wrote:
debian user wrote:

i would like to set up a ping server for my office. I however have not found a simple way of recieving a responce of "dead" or "alive". I am not to concerned about time etc? I just want to ping a few servers and then send the results out in a email to a few key personal. Right now I am doing "echo ping -c 3 server-name > file" for half a dozen boxes then i email the file to sevel people periodicly during the day. I would like it to be a little eaiser to read i.e. "dead" or "alive" after the server name.
thank you,
alex

Don't reinvent the wheel. Install mon.

From the description above, I think the OP wants *statistics* about the
availability of servers, rather than an alerting system for server
failure.
There are several good free monitoring packages, including "nagios",
"big sister" and mon.

 Nagios: http://sourceforge.net/projects/nagios
 Big Sister: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bigsister

But for nagios at least, gathering statistics is not its main purpose.
It can be done, but requires a fair bit of reading of manuals to set up.

I'm not familiar with mon or Big Sister, so don't know how good they are
at statistics.

Mon doesn't do stats (unless I missed somethng), but it can send alerts when something goes down and again when it comes up.

A script to analyse the alerts and generate pretty pics with gnuplot shouldn't be hard.