ping server

i would like to set up a ping server for my office. I however have not found a simple way of recieving a responce of "dead" or "alive". I am not to concerned about time etc? I just want to ping a few servers and then send the results out in a email to a few key personal. Right now I am doing "echo ping -c 3 server-name > file" for half a dozen boxes then i email the file to sevel people periodicly during the day. I would like it to be a little eaiser to read i.e. "dead" or "alive" after the server name.
thank you,
alex