Help compiling mozilla-firefox

Hello,

I am trying to build mozilla-firefox 0.8-12 from testing. I'm following
the directions at
<http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkg_basics.en.html#s-sourcepkgs>. On an
unmodified source tree (fetched with "apt-get source mozilla-firefox"),
the build fails with the following error:

  gcc -o host_nsinstall.o -c -DXP_UNIX -pipe MOZ_OPTIMIZE_LDFLAGS =    -I../dist/include -I../dist/include -I/usr/local/src/mozilla-firefox-0.8/dist/include/nspr  -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/local/src/mozilla-firefox-0.8/dist/include/nspr  nsinstall.c
  gcc: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations
  make[2]: *** [host_nsinstall.o] Error 1
  make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/mozilla-firefox-0.8/config'
  make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
  make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/mozilla-firefox-0.8'
  make: *** [build-stamp] Error 2

After grepping around, I found the following lines in config/autoconf.mk,
which looks to me to be a stray backslash:

  MOZ_OPTIMIZE_FLAGS = -pipe\
  MOZ_OPTIMIZE_LDFLAGS =

If I remove the backslash, then "make distclean" and try to rebuild, I
get the same error, and the backslash has reappeared when I reopen the
file. Furthermore, that file isn't present in the initial unpacking, so I
suspect it is a symptom rather than the problem. config/autoconf.mk.in
looks fine to me.

Can anyone help me fix this? I'm a little baffled.

Thanks,

Reid