Re: How do Kernel updates work on Woody?

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 09:50:29PM +0530, Didar Hussain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a new Debian user. I want to know how do kernel updates
> happen?
>
> Let me explain:
>
> I've installed "Woody" on my PC. The kernel is the default 2.4.18-bf2.4
> There have been certain recent kernel vulnerabilities. I'm sure
> these got patched. Then why is that when I do a `apt-get upgrade'
> I do not see any kernel update mentioned? Will I see it only if
> I install one of the optimized kernel-image packages?

Kernel images are never installed 'automatically'. To be kept informed
of security problems with kernel-images in Stable (currently Woody),
you should subscribe to the security-announce list. If there ever is a
recognized problem, this list will tell you of it, and what to do
about it. If you just want to try a different kernel, because you are
curious, then you should choose a particular one to download and
try. The on-screen instructions that are displayed by the install
script of a kernel-image package are pretty explicit as to what you
need to do. Be aware that the script makes changes to lilo or grub
(whichever you use I think, but maybe only lilo), and your new kernel
is not placed in service until you reboot your computer. Many serious
Debian users would be seriously put out, if Debian were to create a
script that automatically rebooted a computer. Hence, there is no
automatic upgrade of the kernel. But the manual upgrade is easy.

Also the changes to lilo that are made by the script should make it
possible to boot your old kernel again, if it turns out that you
don't like the behavior of the new kernel. If you have made any
changes to your lilo.conf, you should check the script changes and
fix any incompatibilities before you attempt to reboot.

Do not be put off by these warnings. Mere mortals like me can do it.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net