kernel panic

Hi guys,

I am trying to install the kernel 2.6.6, so I downloaded it, compiled it
and installed it, but, when I boot I get a whole bunch of errors.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to grab all the messages it displays
while booting, but the last ones I see on the screen show the following:

modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.6.6/modules.dep
(No such file or directory)

-> This is strange for the file does exist. I have checked the
permissions and it has the same permissions for the current kernel (2.4).

mount: /dev2/root2 is not a valid block device

-> This message is displayed 8 times. When did that 2 come from?

/scripts/ext3-add-journal.sh: 30: cannot open /mnt/etc/fstab: No such file

-> Well, it's true. That file does not exist.

mount: /dev2/root2 is not a valid block device

-> This message is displayed 8 times.

pivot_root: No such file or directory
/sbin/init: 348: cannot open dev/console: No such file
kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

Any ideas of what I have done wrong here?
Does anyone know what is going on here and how to fix it?

TIA,

-Marvin