Re: Need help, superblock on reiserfs corrupt

FAU wrote:

Hello,
my Debian (stable version) crashed and has corrupted my reiserfs partion. Can´t boot/mount it anymore :(.

I started Knoppix from CD and
I tried reiserfsck /dev/hda2 and it tolds me:
"If the partition table has not been changed, and the partition is
valid  and  it really  contains  a reiserfs  partition,  then the
superblock  is corrupted and you need to run this utility with
--rebuild-sb."

Ok then I tried it with the --rebuild-sb switch and it ask me:
"what the version of ReiserFS do you use[1-4]
        (1)   3.6.x
(2) >=3.5.9 (introduced in the middle of 1999) (if you use linux 2.2, choose this one)
        (3) < 3.5.9 converted to new format (don't choose if unsure)
        (4) < 3.5.9 (this is very old format, don't choose if unsure)
        (X)   exit"

Damn I don´t know the version, I assume it depends on the reiserfs tools
of my stable Debian version.
Does someone know what version is the right with stable Debian?

If at all possible, copy the paritition to a file (on another computer for  preference) ising dd:

First, get your knoppix organised so you can do passwordless logins either from or to it. I'm assuming your doing it from the Knoppix box:

dd if=/dev/hda1 bs=4096 | buffer | ssh backup.example.com \| buffer \
\| dd bs=4096 of=/var/local/backup-reiser.img
or similar.

The use of buffer is optional. May buy something, might not. Also consider using gzip or bzip to compress/uncompress data as it crosses the LAN.

You can, of course, backup (more quickly) to a local device, and you can use, eg, nfs rather than dd & ssh.

You should read the docs on dd: I may have left something important or useful out.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait