Re: Postfix from source: changing the MTA

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 08:32:47AM +0200, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
| > $ apt-cache show equivs
| > Package: equivs
| >   This is a dummy package which can be used to create Debian
| >   packages, which only contain dependency information.
| >   .
| >   This way, you can make the Debian package management
| >   system believe that equivalents to packages on which other
| >   packages do depend on are actually installed.

| I tried equivs once to build dummy packages for java but gave up.

Not necessary for java :
    $ apt-cache show java-virtual-machine-dummy
    Package: java-virtual-machine-dummy
    Architecture: all
    Provides: java-virtual-machine
    Depends: java-common
     This package is only to respect the dependencies rules.
     Install it only if you have a real Java virtual machine.

If you follow the equivs readme (and if you can read the above
'apt-cache' info - it's the same format as the "control" file) then
should have no trouble building a dummy package with whatever provides
and depends you want.  I am using it to keep an old libstdc++
installed which a commercial binary-only program needs.  (I once
removed that lib because nothing depended on it.  Oops.)

HTH,
-D

--
Even youths grow tired and weary,