Re: Postfix from source: changing the MTA

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 03:41:49PM -0700, xasdfg123456@yahoo.com wrote:
| I have installed the newest version of Postfix from
| source (not Debian source).

Why?  (see below)

| I don't want the Debian/Woody version of Postfix.

Ok, so rebuild the sarge version on your woody machine.

# aptitude install fakeroot
# apt-get build-dep postfix
$ apt-get source postfix
$ cd postfix-2.1.3
$ fakeroot ./debian/rules binary
# dpkg -i ../postfix_2.1.3-1_i386.deb ../postfix-pcre_2.1.3-1_i386.deb

This is what I would recommend doing -- building a debian package
using newer source.

| My problem is my system doesn't think it has a MTA on
| it unless I install Exim with dpkg, but I don't want
| Exim. How do I make my system know it has an MTA on it
| so mailx will work? Thanks.

You need some package installed that provides mail-transport-agent.
One option, as you noted, is to install exim and not use it.  By the
same token you could install the old postfix and then copy the new one
over it.  Using the equivs package is better than either of those
options, but I think building a debian package from newer source is
the best option.

-D

--
Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved
person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained.