sarge, ethereal, tcpdump

A Debian and Linux newbie here.

I first installed woody and found it be a very nice distro. I like it. It's fast, stable, etc.... As a new convert from Windows I've found the transition to be fairly intuitive. However, I upgraded my distro to sarge last night and since then I've run into quite a few bugs(?). Two that are really causing me a problem in what I'm attempting to do right now (learn Samba). I use tcpdump and/or ethereal to do captures of network traffic to help troubleshoot connection errors. Since I've upgraded to sarge I get the following error when attempting to use tcpdump: get i f addrs: connection refused. I have what I'm assuming to be is related in ethereal too. When attempting to do a packet capture the "interface" menu box is empty and ethereal hangs at that point. So, I'm assuming that both tcpdump and ethereal are both being denied access to my ethernet connections. Anyone know if these are known bugs or do I just have something misconfigured? Everything worked perfectly under woody, and I've done nothing different than I did with woody so I'm assuming these are bugs, but as a noob I'm not positive. TIA for your help.
Gary