Partition problems with 2.6 and udev

Hi all,

I'm running the 2.6.6-1-k7-smp kernel on a fresh install of Woody, with udev. Most things are now working (although for some reason I can't seem to get udev to create the nvidia devices for me, even though I've patched the driver and the device shows up in /sys...), but my first IDE drive is non-functional when booted into this distro. It's got four partitions on it, three separate distros and a swap partition, and this install of debian is on a second drive.

I can see the drive in /sys:

$ find /sys/block/hda/
/sys/block/hda/
/sys/block/hda/queue
/sys/block/hda/queue/iosched
/sys/block/hda/queue/iosched/write_batch_expire
/sys/block/hda/queue/iosched/read_batch_expire
/sys/block/hda/queue/iosched/antic_expire
/sys/block/hda/queue/iosched/write_expire
/sys/block/hda/queue/iosched/read_expire
/sys/block/hda/queue/iosched/est_time
/sys/block/hda/queue/nr_requests
/sys/block/hda/hda1
/sys/block/hda/hda1/stat
/sys/block/hda/hda1/size
/sys/block/hda/hda1/start
/sys/block/hda/hda1/dev
/sys/block/hda/device
/sys/block/hda/stat
/sys/block/hda/size
/sys/block/hda/range
/sys/block/hda/dev

As you can see, only one partition is showing up. However, fdisk correctly reports the partition table, and I can boot just fine off of the drive, so I know it's not a partition problem. If I try to mount the single, visible partition, this is what I get:

$ sudo mount -t reiserfs /dev/hda1 /mnt
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
       or too many mounted file systems
       (aren't you trying to mount an extended partition,
       instead of some logical partition inside?)

Quite strangely, this is what shows up in my log when I try this mount operation:

Jul 14 00:40:34 culain kernel: /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: [CUMANA/ADFS] p1<6> /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: [CUMANA/ADFS] p1sh-2021: reiserfs_fill_super: can not find reiserfs on hda1

That CUMANA/ADFS thing appears to be related to ACORN boxes. Could it be incorrectly determining the table type?

If I use fdisk to force a reload of the partition table, I get a notification from udev that it's removing and creating /dev/hda1, but I don't get any different behaviour.

I'm not dead in the water without this second (actually, first) drive, but obviously I need to get it fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and if anyone knows why udev isn't noticing the nvidia device and creating the device nodes (yes, I modified the udev.rules file), I'd appreciate help there, but I just added a startup script for now.

Thanks,
Luke

--
Instant ice: just add water and freeze.