Re: Changing hostname

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 13:29, * Tong* wrote:
[snip]
> Paul Johnson's comment makes me think that changing the hostname
> is far from simple:
>
> ,-----
> | > 127.0.0.1       cxmr.dyndns.org                 localhost
> |
> | 127.0.0.1    localhost
> | <your-ip>    cxmr.dyndns.org    cxmr
> `-----
>
> That's actually what I want to do. I.e., I want my FQDN reflects
> my real IP address, not  localhost, but that seems impossible,
> because I'm getting a new IP every time I reboot.

Personally I'd use the dyndns stuff found in Debian already.

[greg@duke:greg]$ apt-cache search dyndns
ddclient - Update dynamic IP address at DynDNS.org
ddns3-client - Issues dynamic DNS v3 requests
ez-ipupdate - client for most dynamic DNS services
ipcheck - Dyndns.org client to register your dynamic IP address

Some of those can already update you hostname proper and your ipaddr
with dyndns.org.

Since I suppose you do not have a Firewall Machine, you should really
not need to have anything other than it be you in your localhost line as
well.

127.0.0.1 cxmr.dydns.org cxmr localhost.localdomain localhost

As the machine KNOWS it is cxmr, when you resolve it from itself then.

Also, it really isn't any problem when the DHCP Client gets a different
address.

Now, if you have a firewall machine with 2+ NICS in it. Assign that name
to one of the static ones on it. Since the name points to the same
machine from inside and out (just on different interfaces) the
DHCP/DYNDNS client will have zero problem when you tell it "eth0" or
what ever you call it is the public facing and dynamic interface
(otherwise usually called the "untrusted interface")

Really this is quite over done, but sometimes I tend to regurgitate to
much info, causing glassy/glazed-eyes on the recipient.

So, the real question of the moment: Is it done yet?
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux