Re: Not installable package ?

Hello!

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 02:02:09PM +0200, Bertrand wrote:
> I am experiencing a strange problem with apt-get while trying to install
> libmagick-5. I am a new debian user; I installed the latest debuian testing
                                                                      ^^^^^^^
OK, so it is solely testing...

> yesterday with the net installer.
>
> I hope someone can help me; I'm stuck.
>
> Here is what I do, I think you will understand:
>
> - --------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> laptop:~# apt-get install libmagick5
> [...]
>   libmagick5: Depends: liblcms (>= 1.08-1)
>               Depends: libwmf0.2-2 (>= 0.2.2-4) but it is not installable
> E: Broken packages
> [...]
> - --------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> As you can see, everything seems to be installed, but apt-get install

Hm, I wouldn't trust apt-get's regex matching any further than I can
throw it; ever tried a "apt-get install 'emacs21*'" and wondered how
xemacs20 could be matched...? ;)

> libmagick5 still produce a "failed dependencies" error ?!
>
> Here is my /etc/apt/sources.list file:
>
> - --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> [...]
> deb http://ftp2.fr.debian.org/debian/ testing main
> deb-src http://ftp2.fr.debian.org/debian/ testing main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main

Here is the problem: libmagick5 only exists in stable aka Woody, but
not in testing aka Sarge anymore. The security entry for stable
provides the packages itself which knows what additional packages it
will need, but those dependencies don't exist on security.d.o.

See the following output for reference:
| $ apt-cache policy libmagick5 liblcms libwmf0.2-2
| libmagick5:
|   Installed: (none)
|   Candidate: 4:5.4.4.5-1woody1
|   Version Table:
|      4:5.4.4.5-1woody1 0
|         500 http://ftp.de.debian.org woody/main Packages
|         500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
| liblcms:
|   Installed: (none)
|   Candidate: 1.08-3
|   Version Table:
|      1.08-3 0
|         500 http://ftp.de.debian.org woody/main Packages
| libwmf0.2-2:
|   Installed: (none)
|   Candidate: 0.2.2-4
|   Version Table:
|      0.2.2-4 0
|         500 http://ftp.de.debian.org woody/main Packages

So you'd need appropriate entries for stable if you really need
libmagick5. Otherwise there's no real need to keep that security
entry, as those packages (all of them?) have long been superseded by
the version in Sarge, and there is no security support for Sarge, only
the infrastructure already exists today.

> I am using a localized version of debian (FRench), but I modified the LANG
> env. variable to get an english output - I think it's better to post in
> english here ;)

That's very thoughtful of you and something people often have missed.
:)

Cheers,
Flo