Occasional freezing / need help diagnosing

Title: Occasional freezing / need help diagnosing

Occasionally Debian just locks up.  The same box has WinXP and SuSE 9.1 and Debian Sid.  Each OS has its own hard drive.  I have not experienced any locking up with the other two OSs.  I've looked in the logs in /var/logs but can't find anything that seems significant.

Can anyone give me some tips on troubleshooting something like this?   I'm really trying to decide between SuSE and Debian.  I really like some things about Debian, but if I can't stop the freezing, I'll have no choice but to go back to SuSE.