Re: help! dselect wants to remove everything!

On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 22:35, William F. Dudley Jr. wrote:
> I was trying to figure out why xsane was dumping core,
> and fiddling with package selections using dselect,
> and now dselect wants to uninstall most of the packages:

DO NOT USE dselect!

        apt-get update && apt-get -u upgrade (or dist-upgrade)

Then look and see what apt wants to do.

> 0 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 396 downgraded, 605 to remove and 0 not upgraded
>
> I'm using "unstable", and mostly, it's been stable.  I run
> about 10 Debian systems.
>
> 1. How do I restore this to a sane (no pun intended) configuration?
>
> 2. How the heck does one figure out what dependency causes this insanity?
>
> 3. Is it possible to have xsane and gimp 2 installed at the same time?

I only use dselect for updates or:

        dselect update

Force of habit and to cure that dselect itch... then I use:

        apt-get -u updgrade
or
	apt-get -u dist-upgrade

Other than refreshing available... dselect is dead for me !!!
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux