help! dselect wants to remove everything!

I was trying to figure out why xsane was dumping core,
and fiddling with package selections using dselect,
and now dselect wants to uninstall most of the packages:

0 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 396 downgraded, 605 to remove and 0 not upgraded

I'm using "unstable", and mostly, it's been stable.  I run
about 10 Debian systems.

1. How do I restore this to a sane (no pun intended) configuration?

2. How the heck does one figure out what dependency causes this insanity?

3. Is it possible to have xsane and gimp 2 installed at the same time?

Thanks,
Bill Dudley