Re: OT: Managing huge Mail/ folders (with mutt?)

Karsten M. Self wrote:

on Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 03:49:25PM +1000, James Sinnamon (frodo000@bigpond.net.au) wrote:
Karsten and others,

Firstly, thank you all for the responses.

NP.

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 02:35 pm, Karsten M. Self wrote:
on Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 07:18:55PM +1000, James Sinnamon
<snip/>
So could anyone tell me how they handle ever growing Mail
folders?  Perhaps 'mutt' is the way to go?
Procmail, or its equivalents.

<...>

Of course you would be aware that Kmail's filtering capabilities can do something similar to what is done above. Do you use procmail instead of, or as a complement to, a GUI e-mail client such as Kmail?

The difference is this:

 - If you use KMail's filtering tools, when you decide to switch to
   another mail client (permanently or temporarially), you lose the
   filtering.
It's a standard kmail feature. Most people do not want to come to terms with procmail: I've used it, I had some pretty fancy filters that could spot most mailing lists, even those I'd never seen before, and drop the email into the appropriate folder, creating it if necessary.

Of course, if I changed email client I'd have to change those filters too, because the email folder format would likely be different.

Now I have an IMAP email service where per-user procmail filters are not possible.

At the time I was using procmail, using it with kmail was unsafe - the authors said so.

 - If you use procmail, your filters are independent of your mailer.  I
   can access my mail with mutt, balsa, kmail, evolution, or the shell.
   Procmail doesn't care.

This is the advantage of proper scoping and modularization of tools.
It's a powerful concept.

Procmail is fine for handling email at the time of delivery. In this case, the email's already in the folders.Kmail folders. Kmail can expire old email, all by itself.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait