Re: OT: Managing huge Mail/ folders (with mutt?)

on Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 03:49:25PM +1000, James Sinnamon (frodo000@bigpond.net.au) wrote:
> Karsten and others,
>
> Firstly, thank you all for the responses.

NP.

> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 02:35 pm, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 07:18:55PM +1000, James Sinnamon
> <snip/>
> > > folders?  Perhaps 'mutt' is the way to go?
> >
> > Procmail, or its equivalents.

<...>

> Of course you would be aware that Kmail's filtering capabilities
> can do something similar to what is done above.  Do you use procmail
> instead of, or as a complement to, a GUI e-mail client such as Kmail?

The difference is this:

  - If you use KMail's filtering tools, when you decide to switch to
    another mail client (permanently or temporarially), you lose the
    filtering.

  - If you use procmail, your filters are independent of your mailer.  I
    can access my mail with mutt, balsa, kmail, evolution, or the shell.
    Procmail doesn't care.

This is the advantage of proper scoping and modularization of tools.
It's a powerful concept.

> I take it that archivemail can handle mail folders and files which are
> already broken down in to sub-folders, such as mine, some of which
> are shown below?

Procmail reads messages from stdin.  Generally as the mail is delivered.
So that when you open your mail client, the mail is filtered and waiting
for you.

You can also (re)filter existing mailboxes by various means.

Peace.

    GNOME (and real UI developers) READ THIS:
    http://use.perl.org/~btilly/journal/18678