Re: help with usb network

On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 06:04, Joachim Fahnenmueller wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 10:16:00PM +1000, glenn wrote:
> > I'd like to attach my zaurus to my debian box from its usb cradle. The
> > problem I'm having is that when I plug the Z in, or modprobe usbnet, the
> > machine grinds to virtual halt for aprox 2 minutes while it registers,
> > unregisters and reregisters the device - at least thats how I
> > interperret it - this is a snippet from syslog:
> > ----
> > kernel: usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using address 88
> > kernel: usb0: register usbnet at usb-0000:00:1d.1-1, Sharp Zaurus
> > SL-5x00
> > kernel: hub 3-0:1.0: port 1 disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling...<6>usb
> > 3-1: USB disconnect, address 88
> > kernel: usb0: unregister usbnet usb-0000:00:1d.1-1, Sharp Zaurus SL-5x00
> > kernel: usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using address 89
> > kernel: usb0: register usbnet at usb-0000:00:1d.1-1, Sharp Zaurus
> > SL-5x00
> > kernel: hub 3-0:1.0: port 1 disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling...<6>usb
> > 3-1: USB disconnect, address 89
> > kernel: usb0: unregister usbnet usb-0000:00:1d.1-1, Sharp Zaurus SL-5x00
> > ------
> > Eventually these errors creep in to syslog:
> > ----
> > kernel: usb 3-1: unable to read config index 0 descriptor/all
> > kernel: usb 3-1: can't set config #1, error -75
> > ----
> > If I ifconfig I have no usb0, so  I ifup usb0 then I get:
> > ----
> > thor:/etc/network# ifup usb0
> > SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> > usb0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> > SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
> > SIOCSIFDSTADDR: No such device
> > usb0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> > SIOCSIFMTU: No such device
> > usb0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> > Failed to bring up usb0.
> > ----
> > In /etc/default/hotplug I have NET_AGENT_POLICY=all
> >
> > The config for usb0 in /etc/network/interfaces is:
> > ----
> > #Zaurus card
> > iface usb0 inet static
> > address 192.168.129.1
> > pointopoint 192.168.129.201
> > netmask 255.255.255.255
> > mtu 1000
> >
> > mapping hotplug
> >         script echo
> > ----
> >
> > What am I missing here?
> > Thanks
> > Glenn
> >

> Which kernel version?
> And isn't the correct module for the zaurus called usbdnet ?
>                                                       ^
I'm using 2.6.7-1-686 on the debian box - all the config described above
is for the debian box, and usbnet is afaict the appropriate module for
talking the zaurus. The zaurus is running openzaurus.

On the zaurus side of things, Im not sure which  module it is - but it
_seems_ ok. If I exclude hotplug from the debian side of things, then I
can make a usb ethernet connection fine, but debian seems to drop the
connection after any thing from 5sec to 5min. I only assume debian does
the droping as usb0 ceases to exist on the debian box, but stays up on
the zaurus.