Re: asterisk in console

On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 02:01:08PM -0500, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
> I'm trying to experiment with asterisk and installed the debian
> packages.  However, this apparently starts asterisk as a daemon and
> then won't allow me to run it from the console since it's already
> running. Even if I stop the daemon, I can only run it from console as
> root; if I try to start it with the -c option as a user I get
> complaints about unable to open pid file: permission denied; unable to
> bind socket to /var/run/asterisk/asterisk.ctl: address already in use;
> unable to create event log: permission denied.  What do I need to do
> to set this up so the user can run it in console, or am I going to
> have to go get the source and install it myself? I am blind and do
> need to run it from the console.  thanks.

The asterisk daemon runs as the user "asterisk".  This user isn't
allowed an interactive login (shell set to /bin/false).  However, when
the daemon is running you can get an asterisk console by running:

   asterisk -r

If you want to increase the verbosity of the console just add a few v's
to that command like so:

   asterisk -vvvr

With the current configuration I've found that I need to request the
console as root, but that can be easily done using "sudo".

--
Jamin W. Collins

To be nobody but yourself when the whole world is trying it's best night
and day to make you everybody else is to fight the hardest battle any
human being will fight. -- E.E. Cummings