Installation Report: Fresh LaTex-Koma-Script for Debian-Linux

Update of Koma-Script package for Debian-TeTex from www.dante.de

The Koma-Script-package of current Debian-Linux has date 31.01.2003.
I asked at debian-tetex-maint@lists.debian.org and got an reply by Hilmar Preusse
that there will be no update in next time. He suggested to install a local copy from
www.dante.de.

Here is a short installation report. Maybe this is helpful for other people.
I have tried to write down all steps carefully, but there is no warranty from me.
I am not a very experienced Debian- and LaTex-user.

Best regards

Stefan Salewski

Here is my installation report:

--

  cd
  mkdir tmp

  ftp ftp.dante.de
  cd pub/tex/macros/latex/contrib
  get koma-script.tar.gz
  exit

  tar -xvzf koma-script.tar.gz

In tetex configuration file /etc/texmf/texmf.d/05TeXMF.cnf
there is an entry

  % A place for local additions to a "standard" texmf tree.  For example:
  TEXMFLOCAL = /usr/local/share/texmf

so we can store new koma-script there.

  cd /usr/local/share/
  su
  mkdir texmf # on my system there was no texmf
  exit

  cd
  cd tmp/koma-script
  less INSTALL(D).TXT

  cp Makefile.unx Makefile

replace in Makefile line
INSTALLTEXMF=`kpsewhich --expand-var '$$TEXMFLOCAL'`
with
INSTALLTEXMF=/usr/local/share/texmf

  su
  make
  make install

make install will ask about overwriting files.
This is a bit strange.
Answer two times "y" (yes)
I think this will not really overwrite files, but insert files in
new tree /usr/local/share/texmf.

exit

Test if new koma-script is used, and old one is ignored:

  cd
  mkdir test
  cd test

Create testfile named Test.tex which looks like this:

\documentclass{scrartcl}
\begin{document}
dummy
\end{document}

latex Test

less Test.log

You should find a remark that the new package of koma-script is used.