Re: Debian on a Dedicated Server

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 17:13:01 -0700
Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> wrote:

> > For example if I need apache 2, it would be necessary to compile
> > that than starting straight editing httpd.conf as it will be in
> > RedHat as it is installed by the default installation.
>
> Hmm, that's odd, there's apache2 packages in unstable.  Are you sure
> you bothered to answer this for yourself before you mailed?

hmm... I didn't see him say he'd be using unstable. Your next e-mail
even indicates he would be choosing Debian for it's stability... but
then using unstable?

He mentioned getting a dedicated Linux server. Unfortunately, very few
hosting companies give customers a choice of anything other than Debian
stable, when they give a choice at all.

> > By the way any suggestions about email servers?
> > I am between qmail and postfix
>
> Just use exim.  You can do far more, much more easily.

I prefer qmail's functionality, Stelios, mainly because I have several
virtual domains and it seems to handle that the best. But then again, it
would put you back to having to compile something. Just my $0.02.

HTH & HAND,
Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #24:
Some software money can't buy. For everything else there's Micros~1.