Re: Debian on a Dedicated Server

On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 12:02:42AM +0100, Stelios Asmargianakis wrote:

> The server is gonna be an email, web and database server.

That's what the server I run does.

> I want to ask why to choose Debian than Fedora or ES for example that
> comes with 2.6 kernel and latest packages.

Do you need kernel 2.6?  That is, does your server have hardware not
supported by the 2.4 series?  Will it be multiprocessor, and thus
benefit from the better SMP support in 2.6?

In any case, you can install a 2.6 kernel under Stable, I believe.
(I haven't, no reason to.)

> I really like Debian but if it needs to compile everything fromscratch
> in order to have everything up ands running then probably I will go for
> RedHat......

If you want current versions of your software, and you use Stable,
you'll be stuck with either compiling everything, or using
backports.org.  It will definitely be more work than using Fedora or
the equivalent, at least initially, and with non-official packages
(e.g. I run current Postfix on Woody) you have to consciously monitor
security problems because there's no guarantee that backports
versions will get timely updates.

On the other hand you get Debian stability and (for SVO of "ease")
ease-of-use.  In the end it's your call.
--
Carl Fink             carl@fink.to
Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading