Re: [OT] squidguard, dansguardian, other?? on a 486?

> > Are there any idiot friendly docs for this sort of thing yet?  The last

> If you want a *caching* proxy, then an out-of-the-box Squid install, with
> _very_ few (if any) tweaks, works great.
>
> If you wnat a *filtering* proxy, dansguardian seems to be the way to go,
> again, very few tweaks necessary.

OK, how about for the person too stupid to appreciate what a "proxy" is in the
first place?  :)

I'm half serious, actually.  I really only have a nebulous idea what any of
this stuff actually means.

I should check out dansguardian, it sounds like.

> > A networking guru I ain't, and I could really do with some kind of
> > simple LinNanny kind of thing.
>
> Amen, brother.

Maybe I should write one.  That would be a much less daunting proposition if
it didn't involve having to become enough of an expert on such matters to
have the necessary grounding in order to be able to do so.  :(

It might help, too, if I had ever used a WinNanny kind of thing.  When I was
using Windows, my kids weren't old enough that I was worried about it.

Hrm.  Probably not.  Let's be realistic.  I have too much on my plate already.
One project at a time, until I find a munificent benefactor who wants to
finance my hacking endeavors.  :)

(I hear Bill Gates has a lot of money.  I should look him up and see if he
wants to fund the development of a simple-to-use p0rn filter for Linux.  :)

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/