Re: [OT] squidguard, dansguardian, other?? on a 486?

on Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 01:39:45AM -0400, Silvan (dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net) wrote:
> On Friday 09 July 2004 03:05 am, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > I'm running a computer lab for a kids/teen center, and am using both
> > Squid and Dansguardian.  I've got Squidguard installed but not
> > configured, more to follow.  And I use iptables for some stuff.
>
> Are there any idiot friendly docs for this sort of thing yet?  The last time I
> looked at this, I installed squid and squidgard, and then I had a
> 1,000 page manual (OK, maybe not that long, but it was huge) full of
> incomprehensible gibberish to wade through, when all I really wanted
> was to try to keep my kids from accidentally stumbling onto gay
> bondage donkey p0rn the next time they did a google search for Hairy
> Potter.  (They splel lke their old man. :)

If you want a *caching* proxy, then an out-of-the-box Squid install, with
_very_ few (if any) tweaks, works great.

If you wnat a *filtering* proxy, dansguardian seems to be the way to go,
again, very few tweaks necessary.

In my case, I chain the two to get the combined benefits of caching and
filtering.

I also found the advanced Squid and Squidguard docs daunting, and
haven't configured either.  It was easier at home to add domains to my
existing DNS server rather than work out squidguard.

> I don't like to think of myself as a complete idiot, but to give you a
> frame of reference, I'm totally lost without an iptables rule writing
> tool, and don't have the first bliffin' clue how any of that actually
> works, even after trying to read the manual.  I find all this
> proxy/filtering stuff similarly baffling.

There's an iptables "tutorial" (really a graduate course in the stuff),
for which I'd junk *all* the front matter and turn to the scripts in
back.  The New Riders firewall books are among the best I've seen for
GNU/Linux firewalling.  I *still* think OpenBSD's pf is a hell of a lot
easier to use.

> A networking guru I ain't, and I could really do with some kind of
> simple LinNanny kind of thing.

Amen, brother.

Peace.

    Kerry / Edwards '04                              http://www.johnkerry.com/