Re: Sluggish Ripping speeds

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 11:49:32 -0400
Ryan Waye <rmw998@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a problem: Whenever I try to rip CDs, I get extremely sluggish
> data rates (0.1x-0.3x).  I know it is not a CDROM drive problem
> because it transfers my UT2004 cd in its entireity in about 2 minutes.
>  Is this normal/what could be wrong?

If you're only getting this with audio CDs, it might just be that your
drive sucks at audio. Normally, every drive should at least do >=5x, but
that may quickly get worse when the disc is bad (doesn't even need to be
a visible defect) or the drive gets slightly out of adjustment.

When ripping a disc with grip or cdparanoia, you get smileys indicating
the read quality. What does that say?

--
Got Backup?

Jabber: Shadowdancer at jabber.fsinf.de