Re: About emacs

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 15:52, * Tong* wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't like Emacs' default Windose scrollbar behavior, and want
> to restore it to its X-windows default, just like that of xterm's.
>
> I believe in order to do so, I need to recompile Emacs from
> source. So, two questions here:

That is correct. The problem lies with which toolkit emacs uses. The
functionality you want is the Athena toolkit. I believe that, by
default, emacs21 uses Motif. The only way I know of to change this
functionality is to compile your own version.

> - I believe that there must be many long term Debian/Emacs users
>   hate that Windowish scrollbar too. So there might be
>   "correct-behavior" emacs floating around. Can I get a
>   ready-built one somewhere?

Not that I know of. However, being a long term Debian/Emacs user, I can
say that I don't scroll with the mouse anyway, so it's not much of an
issue for me. :) Ctrl-V works just fine for me. :)

> I don't know debian too well, and I don't know I should report it
> as a bug or I've done something wrong. Can anyone check for me?

You can file it as a bug, but it would have to be filed as a "wishlist"
item. And I doubt it's one that would ever get resolved.

If you REALLY need this functionality and you can't get the Debian
package version to build properly, you can always just build a copy of
emacs from scratch and install it in /usr/local. Unfortunately, I don't
know all that much about the package build process, so I'm afraid I
can't be of much help in troubleshooting the build error you're getting,
but hopefully someone else can help.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837