Re: Keeping a customized file from being updated during package upgrade

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 10:31:02 -0400
Ken Long <klong@memach.com> wrote:

<snip>
> So, here is my question.  How can I make it so that if I upgrade the
> sysvinit package on a system, it will either just not touch the
> /sbin/shutdown file, or better yet, redirect the new /sbin/shutdown
> file to /sbin/shutdown.real instead?  Is that possible?

dpkg-divert does exactly what you're looking for. "man dpkg-divert" for
more information.

> Thanks in advance for your help!

Any time!

Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #13:
The nice thing about Windows is - It doesn't just crash, it displays a
dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.