Re: log in limbo

JOHN WALL wrote:

> I`m having a problem logging in at the console, each time
> I do log in the console reverts back to the log in screen.
> There`s a message relating to PAM unix not allowing the user
> in; session closed for user.

Have you tried logging in as root? Do you get the same problem?

If so, then you have a PAM misconfiguration. You need to add the following
to the kernel boot parameters to get a root shell:

init=/bin/sh

Once you have the shell, post the output of the following to the list:

grep -Ev "^(#|$)" /etc/pam.d/login

Adam