Re: postgresql with tcp/ip conection

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 18:33, cenapad wrote:
> Does anybody  know how to configure /etc/init.d/postgresql to accept
> TCP/IP conections?
> In redhat was simpler (just modify the line was started with "su -l
> postgres"). But in debian, filhe is completely different .
> I know that a flag -i should be added, but i dont know where.

The Debian package is set up by default to listen on TCP/IP.  The
relevant configuration parameter is tcpip_socket in
/etc/postgresql/postgresql.conf.  (Adding the -i switch to the
postmaster invocation is also effective, but should be unnecessary.)

You may use nmap or a similar tool to verify that the postmaster is
listening on port 5432.

The default setup for TCP/IP connections is to accept them from
localhost only.  If you are having problems connecting from another
machine, this is likely to be what needs changing.  The authentication
setup is done in /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf.

Oliver Elphick
postgresql maintainer