Re: is it possible to change apt-get's access priorities?

Well, yes, I had read that...  several times.  (Not that the answer
may not be in there and I'm staring right at it and not seeing it,
*but...*).

I'm able to make "apt-get" work from either CD-ROM or from the archive.
I've got all the entries for the CD-ROM and the archives correct.
The problem is whether or not it's possible to rearrange "apt-get"'s
priorities for how it selects packages and dependencies.

One quote from the document you pointed at, is what I'd mentioned
earlier:

"It's important to note that APT always looks for the most recent
versions of packages. Therefore, if your /etc/apt/sources.list
were to list an archive that had a more recent version of a package
than the version on the CD, APT would download the package from there."

The thing is, what I *want* it to do, in a case where I'm just
trying to load something initially and get it running, is to go get
whatever it can find from the stable distribution on the CD-ROM, to
start with.  Then if I don't like that, or whatever it is doesn't
work, I want to point it at an upgrade on a distribution archive.
But the behavior (as the above quote suggests) seems to be that it
will go for the most recent version no matter what.

I've tried various things that the documentation suggests...  for
instance, "apt-get install [package_name]/stable" is supposed to
force access of a "stable" release...  but even though when only
"testing" and "unstable" releases are defined for remote access in
the remote archive entries of my "sources.list" file, and the CD-ROM
entries *do* represent stable Woody, "apt-get" still goes charging
off to the remote archive.  Or, the entry "APT::Default-Release
"stable";"
in the "apt.conf" file is supposed to at least cause "apt-get" to not
try for a "testing" or "unstable" release if it can find a "stable"
one...  I think?  (The syntax, which I got off another forum, caused
"apt-get" to error...  I supposed I shouldn't be surprised, since I
don't see that syntax in the documentation for "apt-config", but maybe
I haven't tried enough variations of it - or maybe I need to upgrade
"apt-get"?  (That ought to be good for *at least* a 100MB download...)

Maybe what I want to do is just impossible...  but that's what I'm
trying to find out...  As I mentioned, I can *bludgeon* it into doing
what I want, by editing the "sources.list" file to comment out the
remote archive entries, re-updating "apt-get"'s internal list, and
thereby forcing it to go to the CD-ROMs, but it's really time-consuming
(etc...)that way.