Re: pppd authentication problem

On Thursday 08 July 2004 00:31, James Sinnamon wrote:
> Dear Debian users,
>
> Until now, I have been accustomed to having ppp work without the need
> to understand a great deal.
>
> However, I have not been able to get kppp to work on my new Debian
> sarge/testing system in the same way it used to work on my previous
> RedHat 9.0 system.
>
> In the log window, I see the word "CONNECT" after roughly 10 seconds,
> but am immediately disconnected, seemingly before ppp even begins
> to authenticate itself.  The errors shown are:
>
>   Jul  8 14:25:59 localhost pppd[1065]: The remote system is \
>      required to authenticate itself
>   Jul  8 14:25:59 localhost pppd[1065]: but I couldn't find any \
>      suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.
>   Jul  8 14:25:59 localhost pppd[1065]: (None of the available \
>      passwords would let it use an IP address.)
>
> A copy of ~/.kde/share/config/kppprc can be found at:
>
> 	http://www.sos.cable.nu/debian/debug/kppprc.txt
>
> Can anyone spot what is wrong or what is missing?
>
> BTW, is there a  relationship between kppp and ppp? Does kppprc
> have anything to do with the files in /etc/ppp/ ?  ... or
> with /etc/network/interfaces ?
>
> TIA
>
> James

Hi James,

The problem is due to a change in pppd defaults.  It used to not require the
remote system to authenticate itself, but now it is required.  You have a
few options to fix this, including:
Run kppp as suid root, and provide the option "noauth"
Edit the default arguments of pppd and replace "auth" with "noauth".  You
will have to be root to do this.

Hope that helps.

Justin Guerin