Re: new gnome file selection

Simon Kitching <simon@ecnetwork.co.nz> writes:

> On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 17:51, dzpost@dedekind.net wrote:
> > I just started using sid, and I've run into the new gnome file
> > selection interface.  It's almost unusable:  there's no way to enter
> > an absolute path (or any path for that matter), and no way to go up in
> > the file system, or to even see any dot files.  Is there a way to
> > change all this?  It's horrible!
> >
> > I don't know which package is responsible for this mess, so I can't
> > report the version; and I don't know what to downgrade if that were
> > the answer.
> >
> > I'm sure this must have been discussed to death somewhere already, but
> > I wasn't able to find anything useful with google.  I'd appreciate any
> > pointers to more information.  I can't believe the gnome developers
> > would leave things like this.
>
> To go "up", look at the top right of the dialog. There is a sequence of
> buttons that indicate the directories in the current path.

... unless I'm in my home directory, in which case it just says "Home".

> To enter an absolute path, type ctrl-l. There's no entry field for it
> because "basic" users are expected to point-and-click, and "advanced"
> users are expected to be able to type ctrl-l.
>
> As for dot-files, try "ctrl-l . tab". A name-completion dropdown should
> appear. Again, "basic" users won't be viewing dot-files.

Thanks, this all works nicely.

> All this is gnome-2.6, *not* anything debian-specific.
>
> *Please* do not start flaming all things gnome-2.6-ish until you have
> got some familiarity with the new setup.

Sorry to flame, especially since I know this isn't a Debian issue.
But I wasn't sure if it was gnome or gtk or something else responsible
for the interface, and this was one list where I knew I'd get an
answer.

As for the changes, I don't mind change -- I just wish the changes
were documented somewhere.  Are they??  I spent substantial time looking
before I posted, and found nothing.

Thanks for the information.

-David