new gnome file selection

I just started using sid, and I've run into the new gnome file
selection interface.  It's almost unusable:  there's no way to enter
an absolute path (or any path for that matter), and no way to go up in
the file system, or to even see any dot files.  Is there a way to
change all this?  It's horrible!

I don't know which package is responsible for this mess, so I can't
report the version; and I don't know what to downgrade if that were
the answer.

I'm sure this must have been discussed to death somewhere already, but
I wasn't able to find anything useful with google.  I'd appreciate any
pointers to more information.  I can't believe the gnome developers
would leave things like this.

David Zelinsky
dzpost@dedekind.net