Re: new gnome file selection

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 22:51, dzpost@dedekind.net wrote:
> I just started using sid, and I've run into the new gnome file
> selection interface.  It's almost unusable:

> there's no way to enter an absolute path (or any path for that matter),

Ctrl-L will bring an "Location" dialog where the path can be entered.

> and no way to go up in the file system,

Did you click on the "Browse for other folders" "button"?

As you traverse the file system, the "path" is expressed as a series of
clickable buttons at the top of the directory content "window". Click on
the part of the  path you want to show.

> or to even see any dot files.

Right-click on the directory content "window" to bring up the "Show
hidden files" option. Click to select.

> Is there a way to change all this?  It's horrible!

It's not that bad, actually.

When the Location dialog is up, typing a partial directory name and
pausing for a bit causes a list of possible completions to pop-up.

Personally, I prefer the new dialog to the old one.

--
Steven Yap <syap@shaw.ca>