Re: Where should I start ?

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 12:58:50AM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> --- Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:
>
> > Woody CDs amount to about 4.5GB. Sarge doesn't have a CD set yet (I
> > think), but does have a new net install CD image (ie one CD only).
>
> ISOs do exist, but they're unofficial.

Yes, and most of the advice given on this list is also unofficial.

> > 12 GB per month seems to me to be not an important issue. Also,
> > for Woody, you do _not_ need all those CDs to install. Most people
> > need only the first CD. I needed the first and second on one machine
> > because it happened to be pure SCSI, and 1st Woody CD only boots
> > using IDE.
>
> You only need the first CD if you want to install, or have the luxury to,
> over the net.

On my SCSI machine I cannot boot from the first CD, like I said. If he has
a pure SCSI machine, including a real SCSI CD reader, he will need more
than the first CD.

> > Upgrading from Woody to Sarge is easy, but takes an hour or so. If you
> > are new to Debian, and hope to commit to it, either version is OK as a
> > start. With Sarge you get a head start on using the version that will
>
> I disagree there. "testing" is just that -- not perfect, which means
> situations can arise that you won't get using stable.

Debian 'testing' is as stable as most other distributions main line
version. Only after a newbie has gained some experience with Debian will
he become aware of the real value of real stability.

> > You might also consider using Knoppix or some other 'live CD' version
> > of Debian. This gets you up and running quickly, but the transition
>
> Let's clear this one up, *not* "version of Debian", "based on Debian".
> Knoppix is not Debian.

Knoppix is 'unofficial' Debian, IMHO.

--
Paul E Condon