Re: acme

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 23:40:34 +0100
Jon Dowland <dowland@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 14:47:21 -0400, Chris Metzler
><cmetzler@speakeasy.net> wrote:
>> You can usually figure [conflicts] out yourself with a little
>> iterative use of apt-get.
>
> If you want to find out what packages a given package conflicts with;
> use apt-cache show <package>.

This often isn't practical, because the problem isn't a "Conflicts"
with the package of interest, but with a dependancy of a dependancy
of . . .etc.  "apt-cache show"ing a package, followed by all of its
dependancies, followed by all of those packages dependancies, etc.,
gets old fast.

> If you are more interested in what
> chains of packages conflict with what other chains/groups; use
> something like aptitude and try changing the status of packages from
> install to remove without actually committing to an action (i.e. don't
> press 'g' afterwards).

This, OTOH, would work; but iterative apt-getting is faster than
taking a half-hour to learn how to use aptitude, hehe.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)