Re: Patching a source package

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 12:55:17PM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> Anyone have a pointer or notes on patching a debian source package and
> rebuiding?
>
> I want to fix a broken package.  I have notes from patching a source
> package in the past, but they don't agree with what I'm seeing when I
> try it now or from what I can find on google.
>
> Can my google skills be that bad?  All I could find was this:
>
>    http://lists.fivecolleges.net/pipermail/fclug/2003-August/003699.html
>
> And here's my notes, which seem incomplete now:
>
>   apt-get source will download a few files, so it's nice to start in a new dir
>   $ mkdir <package> && cd <package>
>   $ apt-get source <package>
>   $ cd <package>-<version)
>     (Modify the source as you like.)
>
>   now update the package's version and build
>   $ dch -v 0.9.3-2+local.1
>   $ debuild -rfakeroot -uc -us
>   $ cd ..
>   # dpkg -i <package>-0.9.3-2+local.1_i386.deb
>
>   very simple.
>
> But when I try it now I don't see the sources uncompressed.

They are uncompressed during the build process. You can figure out how
it's done by examine debian/rules. In this particular case you should
run "./debian/rules work". Keep in mind that work is a temporary
directory, and I think it will be removed by dpkg-buildpackage that is
called by debuild. You should add your patch to the dist directory instead.

Regards,
Mikael Magnusson