Re: debian based dtstro that's designed for flash USB sticks > 64Mb

Jerome BENOIT wrote:

Hi,

may be you can start here:

http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/index.html

hth,
Jerome

Nick Lidakis wrote:

Have been searching on Google and on linux.org for a debain based linux distribution that is bootable from usb flash memory but will also allow you to apt-get pacgakes and install on the USB media as needed. I will be using with a 256MB flash key.

Most of the distros I have found on google focus on small 50mb images or distros that can only install secondary software (e.g. Feather Linux) once installed on a hard drive.

Any ideas or links would be appreciated.

From the web page you linked:

" You must have at least 32MB of memory and 110MB of hard disk space. For a minimal console-based system (all standard packages), 250MB is required. If you want to install a reasonable amount of software, including the X Window System, and some development programs and libraries, you'll need at least 400MB. For a more or less complete installation, you'll need around 800MB. To install /everything/ available in Debian, you'll probably need around 6 GB. Actually, installing everything doesn't even make sense, since some packages conflict with others."

I was looking for something like Damn Small Linux that would let you customise the package list.