screen freezes up with fast GTK tabbing

i'm having a really weird problem.  about once every one or two days,
i'll be tabbing around really fast in either galeon or gaim or
something (gtk apps, afaict), and suddenly, the screen will freeze,
and i won't be able to use the computer.

when this happens, i borrow a colleague's computer, ssh in to my box
(which is always still up and responsive), and try to kill X with
/etc/init.d/xdm stop.  it always fails -- gives me something like "X
server not responding to TERM signal."

at this point, i kill Xserver86 with kill -9.  but still the same
stuff shows up on the screen.  i can slay my user and nothing happens.
i have to reboot to regain local access to my machine at this point.
(note, however, that i have perfectly good remote access throughout
this all.)

a friend's analysis is that something's wonky with my video driver,
such that when this happens, it will spew its output to the screen and
then stop corresponding with it.  this is really weird.

i'm running kernel 2.6.6 right now, the stock debian 2.6.6-1-686
image.  i upgraded a couple days ago from the stock 2.4.26 image, and
that was a downgrade from the stock 2.6.4 image, which i tried out in
january or thereabouts.  i never had this problem before trying out
kernel 2.6.4, and it's been quasi-regular since then.  i can't really
tell if it's been more frequent since i switched back up to kernel
2.6.6, but it definitely happened when i was running the 2.4.26
kernel, too.

anyone else seen anything like this?  know what's going on?

thanks a lot,

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori

++     Sponsor me as I run my SECOND marathon for AIDS:       ++
++ http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2844 ++