Re: Kernel 2.6 and sound ymfpci

Silvan wrote:
> On Sunday 04 July 2004 01:14 pm, Christoph Sticksel wrote:
>
>> Everything sound-related is loaded and lsmod shows a whole bunch of snd_*
>> modules, snd, soundcore, opl3sa2 and ad1848 are there as well.
>
>> If I do a "modprobe -r opl3sa2" and reload it with "modprobe opl3sa2" I
>> see
>
> I'm not familiar with that particular hardware, but this sounds like your
> problem right there.  You need soundcore, and then every other module you
> load should start with snd-.

That's what I thought. This is what lsmod tells me about loaded modules (for
readability shortened by the modules that seemed irrelevant for me):

| Module                  Size  Used by
| snd_opl3sa2            20305  1
| snd_cs4231_lib         27744  1 snd_opl3sa2
| snd_ymfpci             61284  0
| snd_ac97_codec         70020  1 snd_ymfpci
| snd_opl3_lib           10880  2 snd_opl3sa2,snd_ymfpci
| snd_hwdep               9440  1 snd_opl3_lib
| snd_mpu401_uart         7968  2 snd_opl3sa2,snd_ymfpci
| snd_rawmidi            25184  1 snd_mpu401_uart
| snd_seq_device          8200  2 snd_opl3_lib,snd_rawmidi
| analog                 11968  0
| opl3sa2                12560  0
| ad1848                 34172  1 opl3sa2
| mpu401                 29220  1 opl3sa2
| sound                  84332  3 opl3sa2,ad1848,mpu401
| capability              4520  0
| commoncap               7200  1 capability
| snd_pcm_oss            55048  0
| snd_mixer_oss          20096  1 snd_pcm_oss
| snd_pcm                98756
snd_opl3sa2,snd_cs4231_lib,snd_ymfpci,snd_pcm_oss
| snd_timer              25668  4
snd_cs4231_lib,snd_ymfpci,snd_opl3_lib,snd_pcm
| snd_page_alloc         11752  3 snd_cs4231_lib,snd_ymfpci,snd_pcm
| gameport                4704  3 snd_ymfpci,analog,ns558
| snd                    56644  13
snd_opl3sa2,snd_cs4231_lib,snd_ymfpci,snd_ac97_codec,snd_opl3_lib,snd_hwdep,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
| soundcore              10336  2 sound,snd
| rtc                    12760  0

As you can see, the are a lot of snd_* modules loaded.

> You're trying to modprobe an OSS module (opl3sa2), and that's doomed to
> fail
> if you've got snd loaded already.  Pick one or the other, and preferably
> pick
> ALSA (snd-opl3sa2).  (It looks like maybe you want snd-ymfpci too, maybe?
> I don't know what modules you need, but looks like a likely candidate to
> me.)

snd-opl3sa2 is there as well. BTW, what do you mean by picking another? What
is the preferred way to load modules? modconf or /etc/also/modultils/0.5?
Does is matter that /etc/alsa/0.9 is empty?

For the record: this is /etc/alsa/modutils/0.5 after unsuccessfully running
alsaconf (see below)
| # --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
| # --- ALSACONF verion 0.4.3b ---
| alias char-major-116 snd
| alias snd-card-0 snd-card-ymfpci
| alias char-major-14 soundcore
| alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
| alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
| alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
| alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
| alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
| alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
| options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1 snd_device_mode=0660
snd_device_gid=29 snd_device_uid=0
| options snd-card-ymfpci snd_index=0 snd_id=CARD_0
| # --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

I tried to manually modprobe -r snd-ymfpci and then modprobe it again and
modprobe hangs and cannot be killed even by killing the terminal it runs in.
dmesg shows the same "kobject_register failed for opl3sa2 (-17)" as with
ymfpci. I did reboot before continuing to get rid of the hanging modprobe
process.

> Are you by chance using the discover utility to auto detect your hardware?
> I've noticed it's not clever enough to realize that OSS and ALSA modules
> are oil and water, and it will load both unless you take steps to prevent
> this.

I did not run any discover utility. I upgraded the kernel-package and then
used modconf and manually modprobe.

Now I also ran alsoconf (did not do it before as it previously worked in
kernel 2.4) and it did not find a pnp card (it should have to) and after
letting it probe for legacy isa cards with opl3sa2 driver it told me that
sound was now configured. However that did not work. alsamixer run
afterwards said "function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device"

Checking dmesg I see "kobject_register failed for opl3sa2 (-17)" again
several times.

> It leaves you with a mess you can't get out of without rebooting.  I don't
> use discover for this very reason.  It's more trouble to coax it into not
> doing something stupid than it is to avoid it altogether.

Thanks for that warning.

Any other ideas?
Chris